IMG_1161_avatar
--
2

As I reflect on a wonderful sermon tonight something that really hit me is that in order to love others the way that God loves us we must set aside our needs. Being an American, and a consumer can make it difficult to separate my needs from my wants. As I continue to liquidate all of my earthly goods my past wants surround me in the form of things that I never even used but, for some reason, thought I needed. So much of what has surrounded my life is so needless.

As I sift through everything needless I search for what I actually need. The task of thinking ahead and figuring out what I will need in Spain is an exhausting one. I also have to think about what is going to be needed immediately and what can be brought to me later...the things that I might need. All of this needing and not needing has become tedious. I hope that this whole process helps me to remember and be better at discerning what is needful in the future. I don't want to sift through so much junk ever again!

The best part of all of this is that it has brought me back to the only one that is truly needful and that is Christ. The best part about this need is that I don't have to figure anything out. Christ will be with me wherever I am and in whatever situation He will provide everything else that I need. If there is something that I forget to take with me to Spain I trust that, if it is truly a need, that God will provide. Whether it be money or some other type of provision, God already has it and knows that I need it.

Praise God that He is all I truly need!

THE UPDATE:
• My funds are at about 93%!! Please pray with me for the last 7%.
• I am waiting for paperwork to come from Spain so that I can apply for my visa. Please pray that it gets here soon.
• I am currently moving and selling things. Please pray that I will be able to sell everything and get moved.

Sincerely,
Theresa Hodge

2 Response to Need, Needful, Needless

August 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

You are truly even more than I could ever expect from a daughter of mine. I am truly blessed. Dad

September 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I was talking to a missionary here recently about stuff and what we cling to so often that isn't necessary. It's a tough thing for sure. As I was packing up at the beginning of summer I was going through my stuff and packing up things and getting rid of things, much of which I'm sure you are doing right now as well. I was also reading a book called Worldliness by CJ Mahaney. There was a chapter about possessions and stuff. If there hadn't been a more convicting time to read that chapter. I almost wanted to stop reading it because I was struggling with not wanting to get rid of things for good. It was hard because I was being reminded of how consumed I am with my "things" that I so often forget that I really do need Christ, and that He is all satisfying. It was such a good reminder though. All that to say that we do serve a faithful God who always provides, usually more than we need or expect, for his kids. I have been reminded of this so much recently! So be encouraged and don't get too overwhelmed. I'm praying for you! and excited that things are getting somewhat closer.