I think that one of my biggest desires in life is to always be useful. So often being useful requires some risk especially if God is going to use you. By nature I don't like risk. I have always been about comfort and security, knowing what will come next. If it wasn't for the grace of God I would not be useful at all. I would just stay where I am, paralyzed by fear and the "what ifs". I thank God that He has made me willing to step out.
I was reading this week about Simon when he first met Jesus. After Jesus got in his fishing boat and Simon pulled in some really heavy nets full of fish, Simon was afraid. Never had he seen such a catch in his whole fishing career, especially on a day when nothing was biting. Simon was so astonished that he fell at Jesus feet and confessed his sins. Then, Jesus tells Simon what is next;
"And Jesus said to Simon, 'Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.' And when they had brought their boats to land, they left everything and followed Him." -Luke 5:10-11
I am really excited about what Jesus had to say to Simon because it applies to me right now. It is so amazing to me that Jesus took the time to comfort Simon. He knew that he was scared and that for Simon to follow Him the fear needed to be taken care of. In fact after Simon's repentance it was the first thing to be taken care of. I know that I will spend my whole life learning to trust the Lord but I pray that fear will never make me useless.
My funds are at 91%!!! I am beginning my visa application now. Please continue to pray for a smooth process with the Spanish visa application and for the rest of my funds to come in.
Here is something that I found while packing up my apartment this week. It is an old Franciscan benediction that I came across years ago. I hope that you enjoy it.
"May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.
May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.
May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain into joy.
And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done."
If you are interested in giving, you can contribute through WorldVenture. (copy these URLs and paste them into your browser)
Monthly Contributions: https://worldventure.com/CommitmentForm.aspx?id=23205&aliaspath=/Give/Make-A-Commitment
One Time Gift: hhttps://worldventure.com/GiveNow.aspx?id=23205&aliaspath=/Give/Give-Now
Sincerely,
Theresa Hodge
1 Response to Made Useful
This speaks to my heart and encourages me. Thanks. I am so looking forward to all that God is going to do in and through you in this new adventure. Who wants the status quo where you work hard, retire, enjoy your savings, if you have them and then what?
Post a Comment